With its roots in ancient Persia, the omelette always provides a nutritious and flavoursome start to any morning, especially when filled with fresh sliced mushrooms and garnished with green onions.
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil or Melted Margarine
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1 Green Onion (chopped)
- 1 - 2 Mushroom(s) (sliced)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
A great way to start your day off is with a mushroom omelette served with a slice or two of warm buttered toast.
- Beat the egg in a bowl, adding a pinch of salt and pepper to season to taste.
- Add 1 tbsp of Olive Oil (or Melted Margarine) to a small non-stick frying pan and set to medium heat. Add the Mushroom slices and cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the Mushrooms from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the beaten egg to the non-stick frying pan and cook gently until the egg is almost set.
- Add the cooked Mushrooms and chopped Green Onions to one side of the omelette and continue to cook until the egg is set.
- Using a spatula, gently fold one side of the omelette over to cover the Mushroom and Green Onion filling.
- Slide the omelette onto a warmed plate, garnish with chopped Green Onions and serve.
Although an excellent breakfast, an omelette can easily be the centre piece of you main meal by using 2 - 3 eggs per omelette and adding some fresh spinach, sliced tomatoes, diced ham (or chicken) and a thin slice or two of your favourite cheese.