Sweet And Sour Chicken
It's always a firm favorite Chinese takeout meal, but why not cook this restaurant favouite yourself at home? This recipe for a Sweet And Sour Chicken style meal shows that you can satisfy your tastebuds and your wallet too.
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil or Melted Margarine
- 400g Chicken Breast (cubed)
- 1 Red Pepper (seeds removed, and chopped)
- 1 Small Onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tin of Pineapple Chunks (drain well)
- 1 Garlic Clove (finely chopped)
- 1 Green Onions (chopped)
- 1 head of Broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 Small Carrot (sliced)
- 1 Small Apple (diced)
- 2 Packs of Sweet And Sour Sauce
Sweet And Sour Chicken is often served with cooked rice, however, give it a try over some egg noodles as an alternative - plus it adds an extra boost of protein too.
- Heat a large frying pan on high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp of the Olive Oil (or Melted Margarine) and then place the cubed Chicken Breast into the oil and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring continually, until the Chicken Breast is both golden and cooked through.Remove the Chicken Breast from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the remaining Olive Oil (or Melted Margarine) as well as the brocolli florets and stir frequently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic, sliced carrot, chopped red pepper and chopped onion to the frying pan then add 1 tbsp of water and stir frequently for a further 1 minute.
- Add the cooked Chicken Breast back to the pan as well as several chunks of the drained pineapple.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add both packets of Sweet And Sour sauce to the frying pan, mix well and continue to cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes - until sauce is fully heated and hot.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and add the diced apple, stirring the apple into the mixture then pour the entire mixure into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped green onion.
- Serve your Sweet And Sour Chicken dish with your choice of freshly cooked rice or egg noodles and enjoy.
For those that like their Sweet And Sour sauce a little more on the tangy side, add 2 tsp red wine vinegar and 1 tsp grated of finely chopped ginger to the sauce as it cooks. If you prefer it more sweet than sour, then add 1 tsp of sugar instead.
If you prefer the chicken in your Sweet and Sour Chicken to be battered then before cooking, place the diced Chicken Breast into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and 1 beaten egg. Mix well then add 3 - 4 tbsp of flour (or cornflour) and mix to coat the chicken then shallow fry in at least an inch of hot oil.